BETAMATE epoxy Structural Bonding Adhesives from Dow Automotive
- Posted by: Albert Puig
- Category: Dow Automotive
BETAMATE epoxy structural adhesives provide high performance bonding to steel, aluminium and other materials to enhance stiffness, NVH, crash and durability performance.
They supplant welds & mechanical fasteners to help improve durability while reducing weight, and manufacturing cost. They are ideal for use in closures (doors, hoods, trunks and tailgates) as well as body structure and chassis (underbody, pillars and roof) applications.
Enhance Durability and Reduce Vehicle Weight
Providing high-performance adhesion to lighter weight and conventional automotive materials, BETAMATE structural adhesives can help enhance vehicle strength and diminish weight while giving cost savings.
BETAMATE supplant welds and mechanical fasteners, reducing fatigue and failure commonly found around fasteners and spot welds.
Dow Automotive Systems Betamate structural adhesives benefits:
- Increase auto body stiffness for improved handling and acoustic performance
- Reduce cost by decreasing spot welds, downgauging steel and enabling use of mild-steel in place of high-strength steel
- Reduce vehicle weight, in this way lessening CO2 emissions
- Improve assembly processes by overcoming weld point access issues
- Feature a modulus above 1,000 MPa, a glass transition temperature above 80 °C and an impact resistance f(t) from -40 °C to 80 °C
- Adhere to oily substrates
- Are wash-off resistant
- Join dissimilar and hard-to-weld substrates, including advanced high strength steel, aluminium, magnesium and composites
- Increase chassis and body durability by reducing fatigue and failure usually found around spot welds and fasteners
- Contribute to lightweight design flexibility and overall vehicle safety
- Seal against corrosive environmental conditions
- Can help lower cost by reducing welds and gauge, without losing mechanical properties
To meet changing patterns in vehicle design and contribute to lighter vehicles, BETAMATE structural adhesives are commonly used on the following applications, also to steel and high-strength steel:
- Full aluminum vehicle bodies
- Cast aluminium to profile bonding
- Aluminium closures
- Magnesium suspension struts
- Aluminium or composite roof bonding
- Bonded seat structures
- Aluminum chassis/powertrain components
- Composite body-in-white parts integration
The capacity to join similar and dissimilar substrates makes this structural adhesive ideal for use in engine compartments, doors, hoods, deck lid flanges, cockpits, roof panels, rails, trailer flooring and other applications.
BETAMATE LWR lightweight reinforcement is an expandable, toughened epoxy adhesive for body-in white structures, chassis and closures.
Designed for application in the body shop, BETAMATE has a customizable expansion profile of up to 150% and can be applied by stream, swirl or bead.
Application and Bonding One and two-part BETAMATE structural adhesives are designed to meet OEM requirements.
They provide excellent bonding and adhesion to a wide range of materials, including:
- Coated or uncoated steel
- Pre treated aluminium
- Pre treated magnesium
Regularly when using thermal-cured one-component adhesives, no treatment is required for almost any kind of metals if the surface is defined correctly and oil quantity does not exceed 4 grams per square meter.
We suggest wiping off excess oil when using a two-component system with no heat treatment.
For plastics and hybrid system bonding, composite materials, or any other assembly where a thin bond line is not possible, Dow Automotive Systems also offers an extensive range of elastic and composite bonding systems with higher versatility.
BETAMATE structural adhesives can be applied manually, from dispensing systems or cartridges.
The adhesives also can be applied mechanically in swirl, bead or jet spray using standard industrial equipment.
Fracture-toughened BETAMATE adhesives perform better than standard grades with enhanced stability to progressive crush and load-carrying capability.
Supporting Your Project from Concept to Launch
- Dow Automotive Systems is a leading provider of materials, technology and support for automotive adhesive applications.
- Dow Automotive offers a globally consistent, reliable material supply, with significant cost efficiencies.
- We have engineering expertise to facilitate the design with structural adhesives. In addition, they offer a complete range of materials for the transportation industry, including leading adhesives, polyurethanes, glass bonding systems, sealants, fluids, films, structural enhancement and acoustical management solutions.
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We collect information that our suppliers voluntarily give us.
The Owners of this website forbid the republishing of the content from this blog onto any other blog or website Without their written permission
This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites.