The Project: Strengthening Volkswagen Battery Packs with DuPont™ BETAMATE 2090
Volkswagen, like many other leading automotive manufacturers in the market, has been in the process of electrifying their vehicles. This is an ongoing transformation in the company, with the goal of shifting to completely electric by 2030. The performance of Volkswagen’s modular electric drive matrix (MEB) platform, which enables its electric vehicle technology, is dependant on the structural integrity of the battery pack. A structurally strong battery pack protects both the battery and the vehicle occupant by providing crash-resistance. This is where DuPont’s BETAMATE 2090 structural adhesive becomes important.
Volkswagen required a battery pack solution that provided:
- Durability, stiffness, and crash performance to the battery frame
- Enhanced flexibility of the manufacturing process
- A continuous bond line for structural integrity
- Quick application for short cycle time
- No surface pre-treatment to save time and costs
- Single-component, cold-curing due to lack of oven in assembly line
Traditional solutions, such as welding or mechanical joining, could not provide these features. Specifically, they couldn’t ensure a continuous bond line or achieve the desired cycle time.
DuPont™ representatives took all requirements into consideration, and through innovative research and development, were able to formulate the BETAMATE™ 2090 structural adhesive to solve Volkswagen’s problem.
BETAMATE 2090 provides:
- High stiffness and strength
- Great flexibility – high elastic modulus
- Ability for both automated or manual application
- Primerless adhesion – no pre-treatment required
- Cold curing – no oven required
- 20 minute open time
Through using BETAMATE 2090, Volkswagen was able to improve the structural integrity of their battery pack frames by improving stiffness, durability, and crash performance while increasing their process efficiency and shortening cycle times.
Now, they are using BETAMTE 2090 routinely on the MEB platforms of various vehicle models, such as the ID.3. The company also now uses the solution for battery pack repair.