The Manufacturing & Maintenance of Electric Pump Trucks
Electric pump trucks (also referred to as electric pallet trucks) provide a safe and efficient way for warehouse staff to transport heavy pallets, preventing injuries, strains and loss of stock.
As a result, they have become an essential piece of equipment in many warehouses and logistics operations.
Experts predict the global electric pump truck market to grow at a CAGR of 4.6% by 2028, reaching a value of £37.5 billion. This growth is accounted for by their increasing demand in warehouses and operations worldwide, particularly in the food & drinks, mining, chemicals, automotive and transport industries.
Using the right solutions in their manufacture and maintenance allows them to work reliably for a long time, offering the most optimal performance for the users.
Advantages of Electric Pump Trucks
Electric pump trucks, belonging to the e-mobility sector, offer various advantages as compared to manual or fuel-powered ones. These include:
- Lower CO2 emissions – advancing sustainability
- More consistent load-bearing capacity
- Higher power efficiency – low energy consumption
- Increasingly easy maintenance and servicing of electric batteries
- Reduced chances of breakdowns, due to simpler and fewer components
- Reduced noise – improving workspace safety and productivity
Main Components of Electric Pump Trucks
The main components of electric pump trucks range from:
- Handle/control lever
- Instrument panel
- Battery pack
- Electric motors
- Brake pedals
- Truck frame and panels
Electric Pump Trucks Maintenance Tips
Here we explore the top tips for maintaining and ensuring the best performance of pump trucks:
- Follow proper operator training and wear protective equipment
- Don’t exceed the maximum load capacity
- Ensure the ground is free of bumps and obstructions
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Ensure proper care when removing, charging or swapping the battery
- Store the battery in its recommended conditions
- Lubricate the wheels and axles on a regular basis
- Ensure all components are regularly cleaned of dust and debris
Adhesive, Sealant & Lubrication Solutions for Electric Pump Trucks
- Easily accessible by the user
- Structurally strong and stable
- Resistant to weathering effects
- Resistant to shock and vibrations
- Protected from wear and friction
- Optimised for use across different temperatures
- Durable and reliable
- Less likely to experience premature damage or failure
- Less likely to require frequent maintenance or repairs
Here we explore our recommended bonding, sealing and lubrication solutions for different components of electric pump trucks.
Electric Motor Bonding, Protection & Lubrication
Electric motors require good bonding solutions to operate at their highest level.
Epoxy adhesives provide the best thermal conductivity, strength and environmental resistance when it comes to bonding electric motors.
Our electric motor bonding guide explores our recommended adhesives for this application, applicable to different parts of electric motors.
Similarly, lubricants play a key role in the proper assembly and maintenance of electric motors. Common components that require lubrication within electric motors are gaskets and O-rings.
Discover our electric motor lubrication guide to view our recommended products for this application.
Battery Pack Bonding, Sealing & Protection
Battery packs require excellent bonding, sealing and protection solutions to function safely, efficiently and at their highest performance.
In particular, battery thermal management is an essential task as it prevents overheating, loss of efficiency, premature failure and frequent requirements for repairs and maintenance.
In addition to thermal management, battery pack assembly using the right solutions enables safeguarding, lightweighting, corrosion protection and optimal battery performance.
Panel Bonding & Steering System
Bonding pump truck panels with adhesives enables lightweighting, increased strength, improved safety and reduced costs.
Our range of automotive panel bonding adhesives offers bonding solutions for various dissimilar substrates. These solutions apply to frame panels, bumpers and mirrors.
Similarly, our range of vehicle steering system solutions enables quiet, durable and accessible steering for pump trucks.
Brake Bonding & Lubrication
Brake pads and shoes require exceptional bonding and lubrication solutions as they experience intense friction forces in their operation. Without the right solutions, they can become noisy, inefficient and ultimately ineffective.
Our brake bonding adhesives and lubricants provide improved strength, cheaper costs, increased durability and reduced frequency of maintenance for brake pads within pump trucks.
Discover in our case study how a Molykote lubricant was used to boost performance efficiencies in an automotive electro-hydraulic braking system.
Instrument Panel Electronic Protection
The instrument panel of the pump truck requires effective bonding and protection solutions to resist weathering, contaminants and temperature changes while allowing easy accessibility by the users.
Read our guide to the e-mobility sector to further deepen your understanding of this industry’s applications.