70% of mechanical failures stem from lubrication issues
When selecting materials for new product specifications, the inclination can be to choose the most “common” or inexpensive. When considering the material’s contribution in terms of volume, a lubricant typically plays a minor role within most mechanical systems. Where lubrication plays a significant role, however, is the operational efficiency. In fact, according to research conducted by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and published in Machinery Lubrication, analysis shows that 70% of mechanical failures are due to lubrication issues. Similarly, research undertaken by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers showed that for every £800 invested in lubrication improvements, an average of £32,000 was saved–an ROI of 3,900%.
Using Krytox™ High-Performance Lubricants, you can help protect your equipment from breakdowns, maximising cost-effectiveness and performance enhancement and reaping the rewards of a highly effective return on investment. Designed to perform in harsh conditions and over long periods, Krytox™ Lubricants combat the typical challenges of using traditional petroleum-based materials and contemporary synthetics such as diesters, polyalkylene glycols, and polyalphaolefins.
Common lubrication challenges
- Temperature: Most petroleum-based greases begin to degrade at temperatures above 100°C, synthetic lubricants are subject to high-temperature degradation, and some silicone-based lubricants lack the stability required to withstand extremes.
- Oxidation: Traditional lubrication faces degradation through oxidation. The effects of oxidation increase maintenance costs and component failures and include increased viscosity and shortened life cycles.
- Contamination: Water, acids, solvents, and caustic chemicals can contaminate conventional lubricants, severely impacting performance. Lubricant contamination can cause loss of lubricity, increased viscosity, sludge formation, and surface cracking.
Choose Krytox™ for high-performance reliability
Krytox™ Lubricants address and counteract the typical challenges of traditional lubrication. Based on a unique, innovative perfluoropolyether chemistry, Krytox™ Performance Lubricants perform in the most demanding conditions, whilst the brand’s oils and greases are non-toxic, non-flammable, and inert.
The Krytox™ range is renowned for;
- Extreme temperature stability
- Resistance to oxidation
- Resistance to contamination
Krytox™ products maintain their lubricity and are resistant to degradation in conditions ranging from -75–350°C. Krytox™ greases won’t oxidise, even in applications with operating temperatures of approximately 270°C. Krytox™ oil and grease is nonreactive to virtually all commonly used industrial chemicals. Krytox™ products provide lasting lubrication, minimising the risk of component failure, maintenance costs, and wastage.