The Importance of Food-Grade Greases for Bearings
Bearings are used extensively within the food & drinks industry to reduce friction, heat and wear between two moving elements. This allows dynamic components within machinery to move seamlessly in their operation.
Common types of bearings used in the food & drinks industry are hybrid and moulded ball bearings, roller bearings and speciality bearings.
Bearings and bearing housings in the food & drinks industry are typically made from stainless steel, thermoplastics, ceramic, coated cast iron and various polymers. Different materials are used based on the application specifications, such as exposure to humidity, temperatures, corrosion and chemical changes.
Food-grade bearings must adhere to strict hygiene and health & safety standards, ensuring they:
- Don’t contribute to the contamination of food products or other machinery involved in food processing.
- Provide resistance to water and humidity exposure
- Provide resistance to harsh cleaning chemicals and washdowns
- Don’t corrode, oxidate or rust
- Don’t wear down, losing efficiency and contaminating products with particulates
- Provide resistance to high and low temperatures
- Operate optimally at high loads and operation times
- Operate optimally at high pressures and speeds
These properties are enabled through the use of NSF H1/H3, ISO 21469-certified food-grade bearing greases that ensure they are fit for contact with food. This allows food manufacturers to reduce downtimes, reduce maintenance and repairs, ensure food safety and save costs by increasing efficiencies.
The Use of Bearings in the Food & Drinks Industry
Bearings are commonly used in the food & drinks industry within:
- Pulley systems
- Conveyor systems
- HVAC equipment
- Refrigeration systems
- Oven and bakery systems
- Packaging systems
- Hydraulic and pneumatic equipment
- Vacuum systems
Top Food-Grade Bearing Greases
JAX food-grade greases are ideal for bearings in food processing plants as they:
- Reduce friction and wear on processing machinery – improving efficiencies and reducing the frequency of maintenance, saving costs.
- Reduce noise levels – leading to a more worker-friendly environment.
- Increase bearing lifetime – reducing the need for repairs or replacements.
- Improve bearing safety – reducing health & safety hazards, ensuring safe operability of machinery.
- Protect against corrosion, water and chemicals – reducing inefficiencies and the likelihood of equipment damage.
- Provide full safety for storage, freezing and vacuum packing.
- Ensure functionality while eliminating food & food waste contamination.
- Ensure functionality without contributing to food allergens.
- Improving general hygiene in the workspace.
- Reduce the risk of cavitation.
- Reduce sludge and residue.
- Provide extended drain and relubrication intervals.
- Provide full safety and confidence for contact with food.
NSF H1, ISO 21469 Bearing Greases
JAX Halo Guard FG-2 is a grease with Micronox with high mechanical capacity, excellent resistance to water and great thermal stability. It can be used for all manually lubricated bearings in incidental food contact areas. It provides great anti-corrosion properties and resistance to washing.
JAX Pyro-Plate FGN-2 is a synthetic grease with high load capacity, wide temperature range and very high resistance to water and corrosion. It can be used for bearings within food processing plants.
JAX Magna-Plate 22 is a grease for incidental contact with food that works in extremely low temperatures up to -70°C, lubricating bearings and protecting refrigeration and freezing equipment. It provides excellent protection against wear and oxidation.
JAX Poly-Guard FG2 is a bearing grease that provides the highest level of antiwear performance an NSF H1 grease. It is ideal for applications in high temperatures coupled with high speeds and bearing loads, where caused premature wear of lubricated parts is a concern.