Hydraulics in Food Processing Plants
Hydraulic systems are used extensively in food processing plants. They aid in the movement, transportation and operation of machinery and objects using pressurised fluids, providing torque, rotation, displacement and force.
Hydraulic systems are typically made up of a reservoir, filter, pump, electric motor, valves and actuators. These components all require premium lubrication in order to function efficiently, safely and under the tough conditions found in food-processing plants.
A common material used for food-grade hydraulic systems is stainless steel, which requires specific lubrication solutions to remain well-maintained.
Food-grade hydraulic equipment must adhere to strict hygiene and health & safety standards, ensuring they:
- Don’t contribute to the contamination of food products or other machinery involved in food processing.
- Withstand exposure to abrasive cleaning chemicals
- Provide resistance to water and humidity exposure
- Don’t corrode, oxidate or rust
- Don’t wear down, losing efficiency and contaminating products with particulates
- Provide resistance to high and low temperatures
- Operate optimally at high loads and operation times
- Operate optimally at high pressures and speeds
These properties are enabled through the use of NSF H1/H3, ISO 21469-certified lubricants that ensure they are fit for contact with food. This allows food manufacturers to reduce downtimes, reduce maintenance and repairs, ensure food safety and save costs by increasing efficiencies.
Hydraulic Equipment in the Food & Drinks Industry
Hydraulic equipment is commonly used in the food & drinks industry for:
- Ingredient dispensers
- Conveyor belts
- Food shapers
Food-Grade Hydraulic Oils for Food Processing Plants
JAX food-grade lubricants are ideal for hydraulic systems in food processing plants as they:
- Reduce friction and wear on processing machinery – improving efficiencies and reducing the frequency of maintenance, saving costs.
- Increase equipment lifetime – reducing the need for repairs or replacements.
- Improve equipment safety – reducing health & safety hazards, ensuring safe operability of machinery.
- Protect against corrosion, water and chemicals – reducing inefficiencies and the likelihood of equipment damage.
- Provide full safety for storage, freezing and vacuum packing.
- Ensure functionality while eliminating food & food waste contamination.
- Ensure functionality without contributing to food allergens.
- Improving general hygiene in the workspace.
- Reduce the risk of cavitation and pump damage.
- Reduce sludge and residue.
- Provide extended drain intervals.
- Provide full safety and confidence for contact with food.
NSF H1, ISO 21469 Hydraulic Oils
JAX Magna-Plate 60 Series are food-grade hydraulic oils that can be used in food processing hydraulic machinery. They can be used in applications ranging from chains, cams, slide valves, drip lubrication systems, air compressors, oil bearings and gearboxes. They provide excellent hydrolytic stability, water separating and non-foaming properties with Micronox technology.
JAX Flow-Guard ISO 22, 32, 46, 68, 100 are synthetic, 100% PAO food-grade hydraulic oils that offer superior performance in severe applications at both high and low temperatures. They contain a combination of anti-wear agents, corrosion inhibitors and polymeric viscosity index modifiers that provide long-term advantages in anti-wear protection.
JAX FGH-AW ISO 32, 46, 68 and 100 are food-grade hydraulic oils for all equipment working with pressures below 2000 PSI in areas with possible accidental contact with food. They contain a combination of anti-wear agents and corrosion inhibitors that provide performance advantages over non-compounded white oils.
JAX Pyro-Flow FG 46 is a food-grade fire-resistant hydraulic oil that has been specifically designed to meet or exceed the performance requirements of most hydraulic systems. It provides excellent antiwear and film strength characteristics.