Metro Grounding Bolt Lubrication
Metro stations contain various bolts that contribute towards the proper operation of metro systems.
Metro station compartments are equipped with lightning protection devices which require a grounding connection. This electrical grounding can be provided by bolts connecting the metro body to the ground through grounding wires.
These bolts require adequate protection and lubrication in order to function under high loads; provide electrical conductivity; endure vibration and not require frequent maintenance, lowering costs and improving the safety of the metro system.
The global railway market is estimated at a value of £22 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at a rate of 4.2%. The rapid urbanisation of modern cities, with a focus on rapid transit systems such as the metro, is expected to drive growth in this market. As a result, metro system manufacturers are looking for more innovative solutions to meet the industry’s growing demands in a cheaper, more sustainable way.
Grounding Bolt Lubrication Solutions for Metro Stations
Lubrication plays a vital role in the optimal operation of metro stations. Through effective lubrication of the grounding bolt and other components that endure regular, challenging environments, the following benefits can be achieved:
- Reduced wear and friction – improving the durability and efficiency of the system.
- Resistance to humidity and water – avoiding water damage and repairs.
- Ensure proper threaded connection performance
- Smooth, noiseless operation – reducing rattles and squeakiness.
- Corrosion and rust protection – avoiding maintenance and replacements.
- Increased lifespan of components – less requirement for repairs and maintenance.
Molykote HSC Plus is a solid lubricating paste that can provide excellent grounding bolt lubrication in metro system railways. It can be used in a wide temperature range (-30ºC to 1100ºC), providing high load capacity, electrical conductivity and corrosion protection. In addition, due to its coefficient of friction, defined prestressing forces can be achieved for bolted connections. It also allows for non-destructive disassembly, even after prolonged use at high temperatures; making replacement, repair and maintenance efficient and effective.
Through the use of Molykote HSC Plus, metro system manufacturers can ensure:
- Reduced chances of electrical contact resistance rising due to vibration, thermal cycling, humidity and temperature.
- Excellent electrical conductivity
- Lead- or nickel-free screw connections
- Reduced frequency of re-lubrication
- Supreme lubrication of grounding bolts, pantographs and other metal/metal connections within railways
In addition, Molykote lubricants have effectively been used in managing vibrational loads, reducing thread failure, lubricating bearings, and sealing industrial furnaces; proving their reliable performance in various extremely challenging environments.