Through this article we will discover Huntsman’s new boat adhesives and its innovative solutions focused on the naval and maritime industry.
Adhesive Solutions for Greater Flexibility in Design & Production
Structural components in marine construction must be bonded together, meaning that being sure of the durability and mechanical resistance to stress is crucial. At the same time, when choosing adhesives for marine, it is important to find one that offers the right balance of high strength and elongation.
The Huntsman brand has been developing and designing versatile, innovative and reliable solutions for over 70 years. Its adhesive solutions for the naval and maritime industry focus on manufacturing efficiency and cost reduction; making it possible to save up to 50% in production time. In addition, these adhesives enable unique design features, combining robustness for commercial vessels and lightweight construction for yacht programs. Its innovative adhesives allow large parts to be joined together, repairs in wet conditions, while providing ample performance.
Araldite 2023 is a two-component acrylic adhesive. It is an extremely flexible product for thick joint lines and heavy loads; allowing for simple assembly of large and complex parts. Araldite 2023 Adhesive combines the properties of high elongation and void filling, allowing you to firmly bond and seal large parts without yielding. Take a look at the main characteristics of this product:
- Modular Curing: Available from 10 to 60 minutes for the correct opening / curing time ratio.
- High gap filling: Compensates for gaps of up to 30 mm.
- It is flexible and compensates for the thermal expansion of different materials and dynamic loads.
- No sag: It can be applied to complex geometries, vertical and elevated surfaces.
- UV stable. Maintains a bright grey colour that will not yellow with age or sun exposure.
This two-component acrylic adhesive is ideal for quick repairs in cold and wet conditions. Araldite 2051 allows you to make joints from 0°C to 40°C without sensitivity to humidity, making it possible to carry out repair work in almost any condition. These are its main characteristics:
- Its fast curing speeds up the process to save time without compromising performance.
- It is possible to select the open time that best suits the operating temperature.
- It has excellent resistance to ageing makes it suitable for extreme service conditions; including temperature changes and exposure to water.
- Allows joints to be bonded in wet areas, even under salt water and under any conditions.
- This product bonds well to most substrates, such as metals, composites, and thermoplastics.
- No surface preparation required. Furthermore, it has a very high adhesion performance with minimal pre-treatment of the surface.
Araldite 2015-1 is a two-component epoxy adhesive that has a high resistance to dynamic loads; as well as providing high rigidity and performance. This product is ideal for bonding different substrates and is also extremely resistant to weathering. Take a look at the main characteristics of this product within the marine industry:
- Its long service life is suitable for large structures with an open time of up to 45 minutes at room temperature.
- It is highly resistant to dynamic loads, vibrations and impacts.
- Its excellent resistance to ageing makes it suitable for very strict service conditions
- No Sag: Can be applied to complex geometries, vertical and elevated surfaces
- It can fill gaps of up to 10 mm.
- This product has been endorsed by Lloyd’s Register since March 2020.