Lubricants for Ventilation
Choosing lubricants can be a tricky and potentially dangerous task for suppliers and manufacturers of ventilation services. This is because, despite providing decent lubrication, most traditional lubricants can self-ignite under high compression once they are in contact with an oxygen-rich environment. At the very least, incidents involving the ignition of lubricants can lead to unexpected downtimes and expensive repairs. However, if the ignition is big enough, these incidents can also lead to total plant failure and even loss of life.
This is why it’s crucial to pick inert, thermally stable and non-flammable lubricants for your ventilation systems. This is why Krytox™ has developed its high-performance NRT (non-reactive) lubricants, providing reliable and ultra-safe lubrication in oxygen-rich environments. In fact, the whole Krytox range of lubricants is oxygen-safe, unless stated otherwise. The demand for these lubricants is now higher than ever, in response to COVID-19 related ventilator manufacturing.
These lubricants can be used in applications ranging from:
- Air conditioning units
- Air purifiers
- Ventilation systems (including critical-care ventilators)
Benefits of Krytox™ NRT Lubricants
Through the use of Krytox™ NRT lubricants, ventilation suppliers can benefit from:
- Complete non-flammability: Krytox™ NRT lubricants hold the BAM certification, confirming non-reactivity with oxygen even in temperatures and pressures as extreme as 240°C and 350 bar.
- Complete compatibility with oxidising gases: Krytox™ NRT lubricants are completely safe when used with oxidising chemicals such as fluorine, chlorine, and bromine.
- Extended lubrication: Krytox™ NRT lubricants provide a thick layer of grease which reduces friction and wear with more durability than other alternatives.
- Extended equipment life: the equipment life is increased through extended lubrication and reduced wear.
- Reduced downtime: the supreme lubrication provided by Krytox™ NRT lubricants reduces the chances of equipment malfunction and therefore unexpected downtimes.
- Suitability for use in extreme conditions: Krytox™ NRT lubricants can be used in temperatures as low as -51 to 260°C and pressures as high as 350 bar.
- Compatibility with polymers: Krytox™ NRT lubricants can be used alongside the polymers used in seals, O-rings, and valves.
- Extreme resistance to water washout: Krytox™ NRT lubricants do not get washed out easily with water, ensuring that splashes of water do not affect the application.
- Environmental friendliness: through providing long-lasting lubrication, Krytox™ NRT lubricants reduce the required frequency of re-lubrication, thereby reducing waste, extra materials and impact on the environment.
Krytox™ NRT 8908 Lubricant for Ventilation
Krytox™ NRT 8908 is a BAM certified lubricant designed for use in applications involving gaseous and liquid oxygen. Applied as a paste, it provides excellent long-term lubrication over a wide temperature and pressure range. Due to its unique formulation with special oils and thickeners, it is safe to use in extreme-pressure environments involving oxygen and other oxidising elements. It has an ISO viscosity of 46 and functions optimally within the -40°C to 180°C temperature range. It is available as a light grey, creamy paste.
Get in touch with us to explore Krytox™ NRT lubricants for your ventilation services today!