What are electric gate motors?
Electric gate motors, or gate operators, are devices that automate the opening and closing of gated doors, barriers, and entranceways. Typically used in domestic, commercial, and industrial settings such as driveways, car parks, and security entrances, electric gate motors enhance convenience, security, and accessibility. Electric gate motors allow gated systems and doors to be operated remotely or through various control mechanisms.
Features and components:
- Motor and mechanism: The motor is the core component of any gate opener as it’s responsible for the physical motion controlling gate opening. Electric gate motors are the most common, though some systems work in tandem with hydraulics depending on the weight, size, and type of gate.
- Control system: Gate motors are typically equipped with control systems to manage the opening and closing of the gate. These systems range from simplistic remote controls with rudimentary capabilities to more advanced systems featuring timers, access control integration, sensor technology, etc.
- Remote control: Many domestic gate motors come with remote controls that allow the user to control the gate from a distance. These remotes can be handheld devices, key fobs, or smartphone applications.
- Access control: The more advanced electric gate systems often integrate access control mechanisms. Typical access control mechanisms include intercoms, keypads, card readers, or even biometric scanners, all to ensure authorised entry.
- Safety features: Safety is a crucial aspect of gate automation and a core reason for installing gate systems. An electric gate motor’s inbuilt safety features often include obstacle detection (preventing the gate from closing on objects/people) and emergency stop mechanisms.
- Battery backup: Many electric gate motors feature battery backup systems that keep the gate functioning should the central power source be unavailable.
- Types of gates: Electric gate motors can be suitable for various gates, including swing gates, sliding gates, and barrier arm gates. The choice of motor depends on the gate’s weight, size, and design.
Maintenance and manufacturing:
Here at Antala, we provide a range of chemistries and solutions for electric gate motor maintenance and manufacturing. From encapsulants to protect electronic components and weatherproof adhesives for housing solutions to gear lubricants ensuring smooth running and operation. We have the best-in-class technologies for electric gate motor solutions.
Lubrication is crucial to the functionality and longevity of electric gate motors. Without lubrication, moving parts such as gears, chains, and bearings generate friction, produce noise, vibrations, and harshness (NVH), and can seize or become stuck. Lubrication allows components to operate smoothly, minimising wear and tear, reducing NVH and seizure, and enhancing overall efficiency. MOLYKOTE® lubricants cope with numerous challenges, providing long-term lubrication to control friction and wear whilst increasing reliability.
MOLYKOTE® G-4500 is a high-performance synthetic lubricating grease and a perfect solution for lubricating the bearings, gears, chains, and slides of electric gate motors. With excellent lubricating properties and high load-carrying capacity, MOLYKOTE® G-4500 is resistant to water, oxidation, and extreme temperatures, making it ideal for outdoor applications.
MOLYKOTE® BG-20 is a high-performance synthetic bearing grease for metal-to-metal combinations involving fast movements and heavy loads. Its wide-temperature performance, oxidation resistance, and high-speed performance make it a perfect solution for electric motor bearings.
Click here to learn more about MOLYKOTE® lubricants and the range of coatings, pastes, oils, dispersions, greases, and compounds.
Adhesives are core to the setup of electric outdoor motor units as they create a secure, weatherproof bond for housing, access control systems, safety features, and more. Adhesives are vital in sealing and protecting components, especially in outdoor settings. DOWSIL™ adhesives are best-in-class silicone solutions for advanced industrial bonding. DOWSIL™ products meet the demands of the most taxing of conditions and applications.
DOWSIL™ 7091 is an excellent solution for manufacturing or maintaining the intercoms, keypads, card readers, scanners, or sensors used in electric gate motor systems. A high-performance silicone adhesive providing a strong though flexible bond, DOWSIL™ 7091 is perfect for bonding materials with differing thermal expansion rates, such as glass or metal to plastics.
DOWSIL™ 732 Multi-Purpose Sealant is a one-component, non-slumping paste that cures at room temperature to form a tough, flexible rubber. DOWSIL™ 732 is ideal for bonding a variety of substrates, including metals, plastics, glass, and ceramics. With excellent adhesion, flexibility, and durability, DOWSIL™ 732 is ideal for use in demanding conditions.
Click here to visit the DOWSIL™ brand page for more information on DOWSIL™s high-performance silicone-based solutions and the full range of adhesives and sealants, foams and encapsulants, gels and industrial coatings, and conductive materials.